Hidden London writes…
Crouch End’s name is of Middle English origin, an ‘end’ being an outlying place, while a ‘crouch’ was a cross, which may have been placed here as a boundary post between two manors.
During the late 18th century the village took shape as a congregation of labourers’ cottages, though there were grander houses in the vicinity – two of which were later acquired by the Booths, the gin distilling family.
The Hornsey enclosure award of 1813 prompted a gradual programme of housebuilding that accelerated rapidly after the opening of Crouch Hill and Crouch End stations in the late 1860s. The latter has since closed and its disused line has become the Parkland Walk that traverses the district.
During the 1870s and 1880s Crouch End was entirely built over, with pressure from local worthies ensuring a high standard of construction. Civic pride shows in Crouch End’s landmark, a clocktower erected by public subscription in 1895.
Hornsey town hall was built on the Broadway in 1935 and bears a resemblance to Tate Modern (which began its life as a power station).